Rigger Competency Assessment
To assess persons involved with rigging & slinging in the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge of:
- Requirements for the marking of lifting components
- Pre / Post user control and correct storage of equipment
- Discard criteria
- Relevant TOTAL procedures
- User equipment inspection
Theoretical assessment covering:
- Calculation of lifting equipment capacities
- Safe job analysis and Risk Assessment planning.
- Lifting Equipment strengths and weaknesses
- Slinging configuration
- Load characteristics
- Explain lifting equipment certification requirements
Practical assessment covering:
- Planning and risk assessment of rigging operations involving various types of manually driven hoists
- Slinging various types of load according to size, weight, shape and center of gravity.
- Choosing the correct lifting equipment
- Visual check of slings (wire/fiber)
- Visual check of lifting accessories
- Performing a lifting operation using management of change where appropriate
- A successful candidate needs to be able to:
- Explain the relevant TOTAL procedures regarding the roles and responsibilities of a Basic Rigger.
- Explain how to avoid rigging/lifting hazards due to incorrect equipment use.
- Explain the load characteristics which influence the lifting operation
- Install and use lifting gear correctly
- Plan and perform the rigging operation while ensuring the safety of all involved personnel
- Plan a rigging operation using TOTAL procedures