Ship Handling Refresher
The purpose of this course is to refresh navigational officers knowledge, skills and competencies in how to handle tanker vessels safe and efficiently under various conditions. Thus ultimately reducing the risk of human error and of accidents at sea.
The participants will practice in a full mission bridge simulator during operations relevant to the experience of the individual officer, and provide the individual an opportunity to test and optimize maneuvering strategies.
Each full mission simulator exercise will, include full feedback session after each completed operation. The exercises could include:
- Basic maneuvering theory with focus on the handling characteristics of tankers
- Bank effect and vessel interaction
- Effects of squat and shallow water influence
- Turning and planning of turns
- Planning of berthing/unberthing operations
- Practical ship handling exercises
- Use of tugs
Upon completing the course, the participant will have:
- Refreshed their maneuvering skills in different environmental and weather conditions
- Refreshed their vessel handling skills during various operations, considering the limitations of the vessel