H2S Awareness with Breathing Apparatus
H2S, or Hydrogen Sulphide, constitutes a serious danger to human lives. Working in an environment exposed to the risk of the poisonous gas H2S, requires constant awareness. Our H2S course is especially designed to provide participants with key competencies in identifying and managing H2S hazards in the workplace. H2S is colorless, highly flammable and a highly toxic gas, which is a common by-product found in many different industries. Accumulating in low lying areas, it may go unnoticed. In high doses, one breath can kill instantly. Through a combination of classroom theory and practical exercises, our participants will gain the necessary knowledge in order to behave correctly in a H2S environment including the safe use of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus.
The course consists of the following modules:
- What H2S is and where it can be located.
- The additional names for H2S.
- Properties and characteristics of H2S.
- Parts per million (PPM) as a measurement parameter.
- Occupational exposure limits of H2S.
- Factors affecting individual susceptibility of H2S.
- HSE regulations.
- Types of detector equipment.
- Types of respiratory equipment – escape BA sets, self-contained breathing apparatus & cascade systems.
- Donning /doffing and operating escape set within 30 seconds.
- Donning /doffing and operating the self-contained breathing apparatus set.
- Rescue techniques for casualties.
- First aid treatment.
This course is designed to increase your awareness of how H2S is formed and where it can be found. It will also show you how you can protect yourself from exposure and give advice about what to do if an emergency should occur in your workplace.