Engine Room Resource Management Refresher
The purpose of this course is to reduce the risk of accidents at sea. We focus on casualty prevention and human error, but also on increasing operational uptime and daily efficiency.
In a simulator, the officers refresh their abilities to handle dynamically escalating situations emphasizing the need to apply the learning in real life situations. The participants are provided with tools to improve teamwork, leadership, communication, decision-making and resource management.
- Human factor theory and human limitations
- Situational awareness, complacency and human error
- Resource management and decision making
- Leadership and team work
- Effective communication
- Cultural awareness
- Planning and prioritization
- Stress coping, rest and fatigue
The course is conducted with a 50/50 split between theoretical presentations and supervised training in a Full Mission engine room simulator to backup/illustrate theory and make it easily transferable to daily operations.
On completion of this course the participant will be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of resource management, leadership and teamwork. Knowledge of shipboard personnel management, including human error, cross cultural awareness, situational awareness, complacency and teamwork.
- Ability to apply task and workload management.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply effective resource management.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply decision making techniques.
- Knowledge of international maritime conventions, recommendations and national legislations.
The course is verified by the Danish Maritime Authority (DMA).