Professional Constructive Feedback
This course gives you the ability to master feedback as an integrated part of your daily work, to a degree where you feel confident, and provide feedback in a secure manner. Professional constructive feedback addresses “the art” of providing effective feedback, which leads to improved performance, motivation and wellbeing for teams and individuals.
One of the most powerful tools used in our work life, is feedback. Feedback can be delivered in many forms from one person to the next, and can be done intentionally and un-intentionally, but no matter what, the effect can be great, so having the ability to provide professional constructive feedback can make a tremendous difference to you and the people around you.
Have you ever chosen not to say something because you were unsure of how the other person would react, or maybe you have said something, and not received the reaction you hoped for? Or have you ever felt the joy and motivation from the positive feedback you received from someone else? How, when and where we choose to provide our feedback, has a great effect on the reaction we get from the receiver of the feedback.
This course is targeted at all individuals who wish to be able to use feedback more actively and proactively in their work. Professional constructive feedback is not reserved for leaders or managers to do, and the benefits for the employee and organization are many, in an environment where trust and developing relations between people is valued.
- Why feedback (What’s in it for me?).
- Feedback and trust.
- Use and miss-use of feedback.
- Intended/unintended effects of feedback.
- How – feedback methods/styles.
- Communication styles.
- Sender/receiver of feedback.
- Dealing with reactions to feedback.
- Motivation and development through feedback.
- How to use the SBI(A) model for delivering constructive feedback (Situation, Behaviour, Impact, Alternatives)
- Feedback on written scenarios, video cases and individual feedback between the participants.
- Personal plan (What will I do different tomorrow)
Upon completion of the course, the participants will:
- Understand human needs and barriers in relation to feedback.
- Understand the link between development, motivation and feedback.
- Understanding the importance of building trust through feedback, and having trust as a necessity for a good feedback culture.
- Understand and recognize the common reactions to feedback, and how to affect these.
- Know the essential steps to consider when receiving feedback yourself.
- Be able to use active listening and seek more information when receiving feedback.
- Be able to use and adjust own communication style according to the situation and person receiving the feedback.
- Be able to use the model to provide constructive feedback.
The content during this course will be facilitated in a very interactive and engaging environment, with a great focus on hands-on tools and skills. The methods will include video cases and written cases with feedback in groups and pairs. Peer feedback in scenarios with different reactions to feedback. The content will be delivered with an initial focus on the theoretical knowledge and understanding, followed by practical demonstrations, practice and exercises.